2013-2014 Purple Ribbon Campaign
The Purple Ribbon Campaign Against Violence (Campagne du ruban violet contre la violence) was initiated by the PEI Advisory Council on the Status of Women in 1991 to remember the 14 women who were murdered at L’École Polytechnique in Montreal on purple ribbon campaign bookmarks December 6, 1989, and to raise awareness about violence against women.
Sexual activity that is non-consensual is a crime. In Canada and in countries around the world, sexual interactions can be very violent. They are often hurtful, abusive and extremely damaging. At their most harmful, they can lead to suicide and death. Sexual violence denies the consent of one partner; often, that person is a woman. Consensual sexual activity is about respect, gender equality and non-violence. If you are not sure, ASK. If you think you are sure, ASK. If you want to have sex with someone, always ASK.
New resources will be added throughout November and December.
Again this year thousands of ribbons and bilingual bookmarks will be distributed across Prince Edward Island. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the PEI Advisory Council on the Status of Women at 902-368-4510.
- Download printable multilingual poster
- Memorial Services for Victims of Violence
- Bilingual Teachers Resource Guide – A Feature of the 2013 Purple Ribbon Campaign
- December 6 Speech – Colleen MacQuarrie, Ph.D., A Bold Vision: Ethical Empowered Erotics and the Politics of Radical Consent
Thank you to 2013 contributors to the Purple Ribbon Campaign for generous assistance:
- Premier’s Action Committee on Family Violence Prevention
- Premier Robert Ghiz’s office
- City of Charlottetown
- Interministerial Women’s Secretariat
- Federated Women’s Institutes of PEI
- Quilting B & More
- The staff of Anderson House women’s shelter
- Pinning party volunteers on November 14
- Karen, Judy, and Pat for assisting with the mailout
- Brandy Beazley, volunteer
- Beanz Espresso Bar & Cafe
- Confederation Centre of the Arts
- Hearts and Flowers